Camshaft mess

Something weird happened to this print and I’m not sure why. This is a design for a big flat camshaft, and I generated it with exterior support, unfortunately that didn’t take care of the support for the levels. I’ll have to try it again with full support. This print took 2 and a half hours to print.

20120830-152038.jpg

Hobo bot

Here are some pics of one of the robohobos for the in progress web series I am working on. This guy so far has a servo controlled eye and a light up mouth. He is supposed to have tentacles and be able to float, so I was thinking of positioning him on a lever that could be green screened out.
The white octagons that make up the eye mechanism are 3d printed, the rest of is made of cardboard.

20120826-165402.jpg

20120826-165410.jpg

20120826-165604.jpg

Red river cart

For an upcoming Short film I needed to construct a small wagon miniature. Basically I cut the task into making the wagon wheels with the 3d printer and the rest of the body with basswood, cardboard and twigs. The symmetrical wheels are easy to make in 3d and would be much more challenging out of wood. Likewise the wagon body was just easier to make out of whatever was around. This prioritizing I think is important when making stuff, not everything needs to be 3d designed and printed out.

20120821-180618.jpg

Robot heads


These robot heads were the first thing I designed specifically for printing. I uploaded the first version to thingiverse (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:20901) and I think it’s the only thing I have uploaded so far. So many of my projects require a little bit of tweaking to be actually functional (the openings are too small or they require a little hand work) that I haven’t been inclined to upload anything else.

I keep this little guy attached to the keychain of my jacket so I can show people who ask what the output from the 3d printer looks like warts and all.

Larger copy of sad bot

This is a new copy of sadbot that I have started. He is about third bigger than the first one (the bit and his shack measured 20cm cube). You can see the masking tape on the front which I used to keep some of the support material from falling off (it had split away which may have left some parts hanging in the air.) I also reoriented the bot torso so that it is standing up rather than laying on its back. I figured this might use less material for the support and also might improve the quality of some of the bits having the rings form in a different orientation.

20120809-160800.jpg
Note that there is some rippling at the base of the support material. I think this may come from having my platform at too high a temperature. There was also some cracking seen on the top of the print.

20120809-160950.jpg
I was able to fill the cracks in with bondo during the finishing and painting. I decided not to print the nose instead making one from a bamboo skewer.

20120809-161327.jpg
Here are all the sadbot parts printed out. Ready for sanding and painting.